Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: ?
Response To:
? ()

David Weaver
Common on the english forum to see folks importing american cherry and maple and using quite a lot of it (especially the pros).

Over where warren is, there are a lot of amish mills who will work for little and some may custom saw (a friend of mine just had a pair of large logs milled for $65 - all flatsawn, though.

Two guys here who are pros who will custom saw anything you want, but you have to know those guys. They generally stock about 10k board feet at a given time and sell everything a little below retail market. The retail stores here have wood from coin sorter mills.

interesting guy on youtube for a while (he's retired now) who mentioned making a living IIRC sawing about 3-5 or 7k board feet of pine a day on a frick mill until a decade or two ago (numbers varying based on how many working for him and how much business he had). Once in a while, he'd saw a log into wide boards and then stack the boards up and run them back to the mill again to make common dimensions like 1x6 (more or less said that everyone likes the wide boards, but they sit without selling). Those of us hand tooling would've loved the wide boards either to use directly or saw lumber from to get good aesthetics.

He said something along the lines of needing an operation big enough to have a grader on staff (or the furniture mills would take in what you sold them and then undergrade the lumber and cut what they pay you), needing steady customers or a marketer selling your lumber, and then at the same time, competing against mills that were intentionally going into debt waiting for prices to improve. Sounded impossible.

I'm obviously in the middle of appalachia (which allows the small specialty guys like the guys I use). Warren's area has far more consumers of hardwoods, so not similar to here.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081