Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Interior table framing *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

(picture 2 is taken with the table upside down) the odd looking stuff is the reinforcing mesh on the rock)

I'll get a better picture of the table when it gets moved out of the shop. For now the pictures' purpose are to illustrate what the rest is all about.

A table with drawers presents a considerable more complex structure than just a a table consisting of a top, skirt and 4 legs- 9 dimensioned parts and 8 joints. There are 65 dimensioned parts in this table and 68 joints. A table with drawers can be assembled in more than one way, so what follows should be considered an example.

The M&T joints are in predictable locations. The top rail above the drawers is dovetailed into the top of the leg. The vertical drawer dividers are dovetailed into the rails. I like a dovetail here because it locks the rail spacing to provide a stable opening for the drawers. The spacers between drawers are inlet into a dado in the back rail and M&T into the vertical drawer dividers. A spacer block is added to fill out between the side rail and drawer side. Drawer runners are attached to the bottom of the spacers between drawers. A kicker for the drawer is attached to the top. In my case the top is held on with a combination of pocket screws, table top clips, and screws through the front rail.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081