Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Krenov style plane jams
Response To:
Krenov style plane jams ()

TomD
1) The Fine Art shows pictures of the cut away, pre assembly plane.Basically ahead of the blade it is about 60 degrees, and steepens to maybe 70 to the sole. The point where it steepens is where the sole is attached which was probably about 5/16"-3/8" thick at that point (latter in order to save wood they got really thin, and are basically useless anyway. That set-up has the wear about parallel to the kind of breakers he was making, though they are different from Hock breakers. Prior to glue-up the blade should hit the wear at about 1/16" above the sole, so in the end the mouth could be anything, some photos show it less than vertical with a nice round above the base.

For my own Krenovs, I keep the finished plane parallel to the breaker, or vertical, or to the blade if there is no breaker. They pretty much all work. I also started making the upper two thirds of the escapement about 45 degrees, doesn't seem to hurt anything

2) The positioning of the crosspiece is really important. It is 1 1/4" up, but the pictured piece which is triangular and much larger than the tenons which are 3/8". I keep the blade side almost the same as the tennonr, and I round the forward edge as much as possible and get the whole thing as high, away from the mouth, and back as possible. It is always really stout, it should never break in use.

3) I would never worry about wear opening the mouth. In a shop with power tools, you can turn these things out, to first cut in 45 minutes (all contouring and finishing extra). None of mine has ever worn significantly. One of them is hard maple and is a scrub plane. It has been used very heavily, including on boards that are rough sawn, and may even have grit, The finish has never worn. There are some scratch like dents. Basically looks nearly new. Since they are so fast to make, there is little reason to ever wear any particular plane all that much. Make them to work as well as possible, and don't worry about the wear.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081