Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Question on prismatic stringing

CJ in MPLS
All stringing is prismatic, i.e. is a prism. Mostly stringing is square or rectangular in shape. Some is not; some is triangular and it is this triangular stuff I am curious about.

Khatam is a veneer, mosaic really, that is very similar to Japanese hakone in principle. The differences appear to be the patterns, the thickness of the veneer, and the size/pitch of the repeated elements. Most hakone veneer appears to be relatively large, each sheet of veneer being an end grain slice made with a plane. These hakone veneers are of a thickness of a plane shaving. I like the idea that these small sheets are almost translucent. Khatam veneers, on the other hand, are cut with a saw and are somewhat thicker than hakone, though the concept is almost identical.

Hakone marquetry

Khatam marquetry

The question I have for you folks is how do you think triangular stringing that is on the order of 1/16" in dimension is made. I am imagining that rectangular/square boxwood stringing is pulled through a die or past blades to make it triangular, but I don't really know. I know that triangular brass or silver wire is easily made by running two wires through a rectangular rolling mills, the distinct wires being pushed to diametrically opposed corners of the die to form triangles. If the cross sections of each wood strip were larger, I can imagine cutting or planing these, but they are truly small.

I'm not ready to move on this project, but I am interested in how this might be done.

CJ

Messages In This Thread

Question on prismatic stringing
Re: Question on prismatic stringing
Re: Question on prismatic stringing
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081