Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
pretty vintage les pauls...

David Weaver
oh boy, I remember as a youth, the mark VI was already out of production and before the internet could sort you out and let you know that there were other equally good saxophones, anyone walking around with one was considered to be a meistro. Our first chair was serious, and his parents got him one without lacquer- I don't know if it was removed. It looked almost brown. Sounded great, but with a decent mouthpiece, he could've made an intermediate japanese sax sound great.

I see parallels in vintage japanse high dollar guitars and vintage american high dollar guitars. Anything that looks great is usually refinished. If it's not, there's usually a structural problem.

A savvy dealer calls a structural problem (that would be value killing if fixed) "personality". Based on what I've heard of most well regarded vintage dealers (high regard is usually curated from famous customers and by selective testimonials), I haven't yet found one where someone has provable misdealings from the "well-regarded dealers" (usually repair or fixing of certain things, and then refinish to try to cover it up and then no disclosure of things like planed fingerboards, past internal repair history, etc).

"oops!! we can't catch everything!"

Internet forums with well heeled buyers kind of exposed all of those dealers. I don't think it's possible for anyone honest to run a brick and mortar business selling vintage guitars.

(just checked the Mark VI stuff on ebay -they're up some, but less than I'd have expected. The YAS-82s are up more than I'd have expected!! Metal instruments wear out. If I ever won the lottery and wanted to relive my youth, I think I'd buy a new one. More fake instruments made now that we ever had to think about 30 years ago. More modified and faked vintage guitars, too).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081