Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
TL DR of the LN 62 from lunch

David Weaver
It works about the same as the block plane (but with the comfort of a bench plane). I won't go into the nits about the adjustments or the feel of the plane - someone can get used to those if they like the plane that much (it won't be a keeper for me).

Now that it's flat, it makes an edge flat to ever so slightly hollow without having to use a straight edge to check that it's flat.

Set at 57 degrees plus heavy unicorn buff and dursol back side, it works about like the block plane did at 62 and 55+buff (you can induce tearout at extremely heavy shaving depth - like 5 thousandth in cocobolo). 5 thousandth shaving is a little bit easier than the stanley 4, but could be due to the plane being bigger and the fact that I had the cap iron shut way down. The stanley 4 left no tearout at 5 thousandth, the 62 left some (as did the block plane set with a 62 degree flat bevel).

I tried a stanley 5 to follow up to that and it was similar effort to the LN 62 in like shavings. There's a reversal, though - with thin shavings, the 62 controls tearout well. The stanley as I set it is able to go to 5 thousandth and control tearout well. The closer it is to its magic cut depth, the better it does with uniformity.

There's a strange sensation with the 62 that it needs to be in front of you more, it picks the shaving up less easily (this may be partly responsible) at the near end of the board (possibly due to the effective angle around 60-65), it lasts less long before it's unreliable starting the shaving and the A2 iron in cocobolo has what looks like tiny chipping and deflection along the edge, even with the super high effective angle. The chipping is like wear from underneath and the edge line remains clean. This could occur on the bevel side of BD planes and I wouldn't see it because I see the back of the iron. Larry's "long wear" doesn't appear in this test, it's abrupt at the tip.

The handle is more upright than a stanley handle which may also create some of the problem in picking up a near shaving.

Given how fast it refuses to pick up a shaving at the near end of a board, and how long it will take someone without a grinder to refresh the bevel side of a chisel, and the slow depth adjuster with poor lateral adjustment, it's a strange choice for a beginner's plane.

Size is too small to be effective shooting except for tiny items.

It is LN, though, and saying all of that, it's solid and feels solid and smooth. It's relatively easy as a smoother through the really dense cocobolo.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081