Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Another Buffing Question

David Weaver
I just made one with paraffin - something like 2/3rds paraffin and 1/3rd abrasive. I think it would be better (by weight) if the two were switched. I have way more wax than needed, but no significant detriment at this point.

Bill suggested beeswax. I think many things would work. If too waxy loads the wheel, then combing the wheel should fling most of the nasties out (tip above to use a spent rasp is a good one).

Agree with using what's on hand.

(interestingly enough, iwasaki used felt or something of the sort with 1 micron diamonds in it about 50 years go when such things would've been expensive - after an uber expensive super premium japanese natural waterstone. He said the comfort of the shave was improved afterwards, the edge was relaxed a little bit and improved. I was horrified to see that as i'd tried fine diamonds on a razor on a harder surface and it was bad. But have learned since, the felt and diamonds are probably a magic combination. I don't think aggressive stuff would be a problem on the wheel, but it would be a waste as the wheel will fling out and then subsequently consume more in the next charge. While it's wasteful, I'm also sure that most people would never use a $14 jackson lea green buffing bar in their lifetime)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081