Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: testing linde A on SYP

David Weaver
There was a time that it wasn't as easy to find autosol in the states. I got simichrome with a banjo years ago and had an english friend who brought ten tubes of autosol with him every time he came back from europe. It was like getting a fine bottle of port from someone the way he treated them "everything else his s__t....this is what you need".

When it became available easily through e-commerce, it was like someone stole one of his trade secrets.

The inability to avoid checking everything that I have around to see what it does has led me to do far more with it sharpening than I ever did polishing (friend used it for his motorcycles).

Just about everything now is alumina except for certain specialty polishing products. If a product says it will polish steel and chrome to a scratch free surface, it'll be good for polishing the edges of tools to a shine. If it says it's good for a bright polish on steel, brass and chrome, same, but it might be even finer graded alumina.

never tried the polish you mentioned, but have used a few car wheel polishes only to find out they're mostly grease with not much abrasive in them.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081