Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I'm going to try something goofy..

David Weaver
..this whole recent rash of unicorn and stones and whatever will blow over and I'll go back to wondering why I have all of this stuff.

but in the meantime, it makes me a little more and more aggravated that some of the gurus go out and tell beginners or knife people that they should spend $600-$800 or so on a set of stones and diamond this or that and whatever else in order to get a certain finish. For example, a shapton 30k is $360 for 5mm of abrasive. Why? It's some kind of white alundum in a binder.

Linde A is finer than the abrasive in the shapton 30k, and there's probably enough in a pound of it ($60 at retail, and far less in quantity) to make several stones of that type, maybe even 5.

What I'm going to fiddle with is I have most of a pound of linde A. I also know from french polishing that shellac works really well (slick) with mineral oil on the surface, the shellac remains relatively unaffected and sticks to itself.

I'm going to make a small tray and dry shellac into a cake with linde A in it and make a super fine oilstone and see what it feels like. I've got some amber shellac that isn't going to last before I use all of it and this is an ideal way to use it.

I'm going to take a guess here that it will make an edge that looks like a white sheet under the microscope and work well with oil (no rusty tools) and be reasonably tough.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081