Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: More ARK stone question
Response To:
More ARK stone question ()

David Weaver
waxy look stone, 283 cc volume, 695 grams.

2.456 SG. Heavy for a washita.

Still retains a label that someone repaired and reinstalled, which will come off again if I use it "carborundum corp genuine washita oilstone".

Carborundum and pike both sold coticules, too. I guess from time to time, they could play nice enough unless the carborundum stone that I have predates norton pike or was gotten from rough stock that someone else owned.

It is a little strange to see high grade high cost pike coticules (they're better on average by quite a bit vs. what is sold now, but also not very large usually and expensive because of the label value).

At any rate, I'll use this stone at some point after I figure out what to do with the label. The label is worth 50% again as much as the stone, and it may be better to let it float off and just glue it in a box.

That's the pain of nice stones with labels and stamps. Unless you can get the stone in a box that's practically watertight, the oil will eventually make its way down the side of the stone, into the bottom of the box and the label will come off.

I got a super nice deep rock (branded label) natural coticule from George Wilson years ago. It was very pretty, a combination natural which isn't as common now, and almost none of the current combination (where the yellow and blue veins meet) have seemed very good to me. The one I got from george was razor size, but it was coarse and fast cutting. On the third use or so, the water that went down the stone and onto my hand left the label in my hand when i put the stone back on my shelf. I decided to sell it while the imprint of the label was still obvious on the blue side (too many more uses and there may not be much evidence that the label as on the stone recently). I sold the stone as coarse, but the aesthetics and label made it so that it sold almost right away despite being clear that it wasn't a razor finisher.

Long unneeded story. My opinion, though, that if one wants arkansas stones to use, a gaggle of washitas found on the ground with no labels for cheap and then perhaps one llyn idwall or a high dollar trans or black stone (most people will not appreciate them because of their speed being slow once settled) pretty much covers everything good.

I go less on density for washitas when the urge comes and more based on visual characteristics of the stones. A very fine looking white uniform washita will be slower cutting. One with mottling and the waxy look, it's a grab bag, and one that's got more open pores and is pure white will have larger particles but all will settle into fine cutting if they're not abraded, and none will seemingly cease like a black or trans ark will.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081