Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Accurate isn't a problem..

David Weaver
Follow me on this one, from that video - I had this plane sharpened at a shallow angle to take the spoof picture with the words "missing link" under a cherry shaving. It was probably equivalent to something around 50 degrees. I figured I'd take a whack at this board and that I'd get tearout, but we'd see how it went - it was so bad that the plane couldn't keep adjustment.

So I cut that off and then started with the video that I showed, the second one. What got me to double irons was the inability of a 55 degree infill to really fully eliminate tearout (along with a 47.5 degree infill working terribly for working flat panels despite having a hundredth mouth, and intolerable use with a 50 degree jointer).

Knowing that this adds about 5-10 degrees effective and perhaps a tiny more at the very tip, what I did in the video was the first shot at making it more steep. The bed is 20, i honed somewhere around 35 and then the buffer adds what's needed.

It worked better than expected.

That's just about all anyone would need to do - hone at an iron angle that makes 55 degrees total and then give the front of the iron a healthy buff and it will cut like one around 60-65 degrees.

As far as accuracy goes in general, this is less difficult to do properly than bevel down, i'd guess? Other than early trials with a bevel down plane, I haven't missed or had clearance issues since. The accuracy once you account for what the buffer does is actually wonderful.

For someone who is new to planing, this will allow time and thought for maintaining geometry and working the back of the iron to make sure the honing job is completed. Tearout and accuracy won't be a problem, and no guide and no specific hollow grind to maintain.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081