Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Unicorned Chisel meets a challenge

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I am chopping out the dovetails for the top drawer blade that will dovetail into the leg. First one went effortlessly. Nothing shows here so I can oversaw them for enhanced waste removal. Chisel is 1/2" LV PMV11, 25 degrees, Unicorn-lite to strengthen the bevel.

On the 2nd I encountered a knot of astonishing hardness and tenacity, hidden and centered in the dovetail socket. Now that takes "luck". >( Chisel penetration with normal bashing was nil. I suppose I could have removed the knot with micron slices but that is not my idea of getting on with it. I bashed the chisel harder than ever before to get some penetration and pried to get interlocking waste to release.

Results: The very corner of the bevel tip broke off, a few thousandths inch I estimate. The rest of the Unicorned bevel was intact as best I could tell at 10X magnification. The chisel pared the cross grain base of the dovetail easily to level it.

Never had a chisel tip break before, but then I never encountered a knot like this one before.

I was able to pound the dovetail together with the heel of my hand-Success!

Messages In This Thread

Unicorned Chisel meets a challenge
Re: Unicorned Chisel meets a challenge
decision
either or, nothing... *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081