Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
It's faster...

David Weaver
I think of all of the planes, the unicorn adds the most on bevel up.

I'm using it now on bevel down planes entirely, and I'd use it even on japanese planes for all but the finest of work, but on bevel up, it's a treat.

The block plane that I used in the ribboned bubinga video would be a total pain in the butt to sharpen at all, and now the process is much faster, and completing the job of sharpening can be addressed as the finishing part is taken over by the buffer.

The edge is tougher (this plane blade is one that can be filed easily).

https://youtu.be/ycHyOycY_CM?t=312

In fact, all of this work was done with blades that can be filed easily, including the shavings in a pile left of this board.

I don't really use bevel up planes, but as you say, getting an idea of angles involved is pretty simple - I had set this, my last bevel up plane that's not infill shoulder looking - aside and it had rust and crud on the sole.

I do expect people will have some issue on BD planes, especially if they don't modify the secondary angle and give things a little room, but on BU, things are nice. Of course, this video was partially motivated by some friendly competition when you put my name and rob cosman's in the same sentence!!! but the block plane was a pleasant surprise. Now I'll look at it differently when it sits on the shelf and does nothing!!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081