Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: The Need for Clarifying some Terminology

Leo Cuellar
Granted, I chose a different method of initial preparation of the tool(scraper) and the included angles are far blunter, the intent was the same though. A method of quick (seconds) buffer refreshment of a highly refined edge that creates(incidentally) micro bevels at the tip, provides superior performance and edge longevity over sharpening alone. In my application it is easier(time wise) to prepare a longer section of the top bevel than a scant millimeter of the edge. Like you, I prefer to work with my tools when I have the opportunity, not fiddle about for an hour, when I could be making something. Also, the steel I'm using is high carbon recycled leaf spring. I like it when it has less surface area to trap water & start rusting. But, after the prep is done, all I need to buff is that very edge (several times), until it requires contortionist movements or becomes so obtuse as to no longer cut. Then it can be honed a time or two before regrinding the bottom bevel is necessary. I use this on skews as well, but haven't tried it on any gouges.

So a difference that makes no difference, is what?

Kudos to David for having the courage to bring his edge treatment out in public. My comments are validation not repudiation. The edge treatment has broader applications than you initially thought. Now you have given the world terminology for a process that I'm quite certain lots of people before me also stumbled upon, but obviously had no nomenclature to describe what they were doing for the "I've never seen that, it'll never work" crowd.

Will it work for drill bits as well? Hmm...

Messages In This Thread

The Need for Clarifying some Terminology
Needle movers
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081