Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Understanding the method....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I find it helpful to understand the purpose of each step.

Have I got it....?

20 degree primary grind provides clearance and lessens metal removal for subsequent resharpening.

- 23-25 secondary establishes a shallow enough bevel that buffing does not cause a premature loss of clearance. However this angle leads to a weak edge that is subsequently strengthened by buffing. Can be done with whatever finishing media one currently uses. For diamond users unclear whether 1 micron or Ex. fine fixed plate is preferred here.

- back lap with washita to remove any prior wear -you state to remove prior wear but this step can't remove significant metal over the area of a flat back in any reasonable amount of time. So are you flat on the stone here or tilted to just kiss the edge? If flat I would think this step had to do with the burr removal, setting it back straight so the buffer would clip it off. I remain confused as to what needs to be accomplished by this step.

- alternating buffing for about 10 seconds on bevel and back of the blade nearly tangent to contact with the wheel. Only the tiniest bright stripe exists at the edge. This step strengthens the edge and finishes sharpening.

This method's advantages over just buffing the back after conventional sharpening are: faster. You claim less resistance but I fail to see the mechanics that would result in less resistance. The back of the blade where resistance occurs is identical for each case.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081