Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
better read in summary
Response To:
Details and an editorial ()

David Weaver
Both of these plane sharpening methods will be taken out of the body of the forthcoming article and added as an addendum at the end. YOu're along for the trials, but all you'll be interested in is the results. That's true - most people who read the article won't be exposed to my tree branch like communication ("which branch are we on? I'm in the wrong part of the tree - I thought this branch was dead and we were going somewhere else with this?)

Summary -

- 20 degree primary grind
- 23-25 secondary
- back lap with washita to remove any prior wear
- alternating buffing for about 10 seconds on bevel and back of the blade nearly tangent to contact with the wheel. Only the tiniest bright stripe exists at the edge.

Separate point - like the unicorned edge from buffer, this one is also protective in rosewood.

It also retains the extremely bright finish characteristics of the unicorned plane iron, and it can also be done just with a medium stone without losing much (as in, hone bevel, lap back, buff. Little is lost using diamond stone on both sides for most people (I feel a slight improvement from the washita stone - it permits less back buffing, and I will keep doing that because I guess being in the handwork group, am a bit particular).

This is far too much work for a strop to do, though. It is buffer territory and the more speed, the better.

The edge meets the game theory of being dominant to the hand honed edge on stones.

My work in adapting to the buffer is finished. ebay used stone purchases will soon be swimming in a rich field of options.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081