Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Durability Results of the not bill method

David Weaver
working both sides of the bevel with the buff appears to be repeatable even at the microscope level, indefinitely.

(microscope shows buffed work gets all the way to the edge on the back, but is removed by back lapping for 10 seconds with washita. This also works even if the edge is created with a medium diamond hone only front and back, but the edge is slightly less good, even with buffing - additional buffing will make a duller or steeper feeling plane).

I checked scope pictures with diamond hone and didn't love the feel in wood (it was good, probably better than most will sharpen to, but it didn't match 1 micron diamond and 32 degrees - surface was fine, no defects and the amount of buffing needed to clean off diamond strokes did make the edge protective to the rosewood -tested that, too).

This is a very doable method for everyone, and again avoids needing fine stones to get a fine edge, extensive back flattening after a medium stone, etc, and stropping is gone because this is doing it.

But I wanted to see if I could match feel and duration of the 1 micron diamond edge. Didn't test in rosewood with silica yet as the whole edge was consumed in the test.
* 10 seconds on medium diamond hone on the bevel
* 10 seconds on the washita, one stroke then on the bevel side with washita to thin the wire edge
* 10-15 seconds on buffer alternating back and forth

This is the method that's infinitely repeatable. Walking around, etc, brings total sharpening time to just under a minute, and less steep "unicorn", this is now just buffing an edge to a finish and not the whole concept behind preventing chisel damage.

(and this has been done before. As I was working this up yesterday, graham gave more input about just what dunbar's book says, and it pretty much says hone minimal metal, then buff and be careful not to round over the edge. We're almost there. We want just a tiny bit of rounding here - far less than the unicorn, both for edge protection and to ensure that the buffer gets around the edge a little and gets good sharpness)

At any rate. I can't remember exact footage - it's in a post below, but I remember how many strokes - 150 for the 1 micron diamond edge.

buffed edge off of medium diamond and washita felt nearly identical.

157 strokes, edge quality at least as good in feel and similar in resistance. no clearance issues (no surprise, it's almost the same as honing).

Weight planed in 2 thousandth shavings, 110 grams (105 for 1 micron diamond flat bevel with back washita finish).

So, this is excellent for my own benefit - two methods. One that is very protective of the edge, and another that is nearly identical to an edge that lasts longer than an oilstone only honing method. Or put differently, this should be a lasting edge as long as anything else, require no fine stones, be repeatable indefinitely and take less than a minute.

I will make a small revision to the forthcoming article to provide both methods.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081