Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Once you've done the buffer, you can...
Response To:
Re: How much is enough ()

David Weaver
..get a good idea of how big the buffed stripe looks.

At 50 strokes, the dangling wire edge is also an indication that not nearly as much has been done because that is long gone very quickly in the buffing wheel, but if you just buff for a second or so, you can see what it looks like partially removed with the "stripe" not that well established.

Same thing with plane irons, it takes quite a while even at a steep angle just to get the wire edge off. Once the wire edge is gone, the strop doesn't really raise another one so i don't think it's an issue of stringing more wire edge out.

Just punching some calculator buttons, I'd imagine on the 3600 rpm buff, about 80-90 linear feet of wheel is contacting the edge each second and for some reason, the job that it does on the edge is keener than hand stropping. Adjust the number for the width of the cotton outside the stitch (so 5/8ths of buff material on a 1 inch chisel, 85*5/8 = 53 feet per second. Hard to match.

I never got militant about preaching the roll on the stone (it's a good technique) because most people first argue that it's not sharp, and half of the other 1-most get insulted if anyone suggests they're probably not finishing the edges of the tools as well as they think they are, or seeing damage ("i don't see any damage at my chisel edges, they all hold up well"). Also, I think it's still the case that the roll is dominant on chisels but protective and not dominant on plane irons (it's dominant for protection, but giving up a little bit of planed length in clean wood). Most people want one single paint by number way to work things. Thus, those kinds of nuances never get discussed. Most knife sharpeners show up on razor forums wanting to sharpen their razors the same way they sharpen knives, etc., and mechanical engineers who are close to machined tolerances in machines want to lay that on hand tools. It's not exclusive to woodworking

The roll felt as sharp, too, as well sharpened as flat facets, but it didn't feel sharper like the buff does.

Also, I expected that I'd post the original post about this and the post would die because it sounds dumb. I urged the roll on a few people, but I don't think any ever did it. "what angle is it?" i don't know what it is, who cares what it is. It's round.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081