Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
That and context
Response To:
Re: soaking ()

David Weaver
OK, i hadn't read that part. Just noted that if there ever was a use for the 5k stone (when flattening, which I usually skipped even for that because it took about the same amount of time to go from 1 to 12k), I soaked it. It became wonderful to use.

It occurs to me that I've missed part of the use on large wide areas when talking about knives as the reason for the compacted progression in seemingly middle numbers...

... there are a lot of videos of luthiers and others in japan actually working up full bevels on planes, something that takes a long time. It was enough to put me off of using japanese planes - you have to coddle them if you want them to look nice as a small nick can be 10 minutes of sharpening with a person who has even the heaviest of hands.

But, this oddball combination of coarse grits and then a bunch of fine ones in a row comes into its own refining the large bevel on japanese planes before going to a natural stone at the very end.

Thus, not a recommendation for the stone unless someone is actually using it in context. By itself, it's not that fast, and it's still coarse enough to leave a wire edge that has to be dealt with.

What I realized later (And didn't understand early on) is that if one is going to sharpen full bevels or work full bevels on anything is that an IM 313 is far faster (medium crystolon, fine india and then washita - even on very hard steel) than any waterstone combination and can be followed directly by the finest oilstone or natural waterstone that one could come across.

I think the synthetics are fiddly in big gaps unless they're being used for microbevels in a guide or honing directly on a hollow grind (even there, they struggle if the microbevel flats have any significant size).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081