Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
hard wood paring...
Response To:
Re: Lower bevel angles ()

David Weaver
is tough on an edge. On any flat angle that one can tolerate for paring directly across endgrain (productively, as in actual work removing any significant amount), an edge will lose the ability to shave hair cleanly pretty quickly.

I did all of the paring on my case with a $2hf chisel before posting about this buffing (paring was the reason reason that I was trying to chase the second and first bevels down - the lower they are, the easier it is to pair. You can't just gain 100 pounds to push harder).

Paring is also a much bigger opportunity for disaster (overcut) if you bear down and push too hard.

I pared all of the tenon shoulders on my case (usually chisel them) without any issues on a set of HF chisels that are probably slightly softer than the sorby chisels. Not by much, but they're soft and I've kept them around solely for things like chiseling adhesive off of the wall, etc, when redoing trim. They're now usable, but really long and light compared to most of what we use.

(the other desire here is to use western parers, which I really like the action of, without them having to be really ideally hardened chisels).

The lower the follow-on angles to the edge, the more waste you can pare easily above a shoulder line without pushing the line down any appreciable amount. This difference is very practically significant.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081