Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
interesting turn

David Weaver
as this test starts to run out, I figured I'd increase the angle to 32 (i have a stop set at 32 from years ago, an angle type, not distance, so it's true 32).

The sorby chisel held up better in apple and did better. I haven't had great experience in soft woods at 32 degrees, but this isn't soft woods.

It took fewer strikes than the damaged 28 edge. But there was an annoying tendency for the edge to sever the chips off of the test piece and shoot them into me, bouncing them off of my stomach, chest and face (this is at 32). The first step toward any of this years ago, chiseling cocobolo for planes and steepening a stanley saw the same thing, except i'm standing perpendicular to the direction of shaving travel and those shavings just shot across the shop. There's some magic point where wood doesn't lay over as a leaf but rather shoots off of the work piece.

The next experiment was to apply the 32 to a much better chisel - ashley iles mk2. These are my favorite modern chisel. they have proportions like an older chisel and the steel is in the sweet spot (60-62).

How about that - no damage with a 32 degree microbevel in the same test.

about 70 strikes for the sorby and 65 for the iles. This iles chisel did nearly as well as the unicorn for effort. Sharpening is a bit more tedious, and the stinging face from chips remains.

long dried apple will do that, but I doubt cherry chips would fly off like that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081