Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Not as successful here *PIC*

Winston
I tried buffing another plane blade. This was a PM-V11 blade in a bevel-down smoothing plane with a 45-degree bed. To avoid clearance issues, I lowered the bevel angle from 32 degrees to 25. I buffed the blade with the white rouge and the soft Ryobi wheel. As in my previous experiment with a buffed plane, the surface was super smooth.

One problem, though: after about 20 feet of planing white pine, I started noticing some tracks in the wood. Under the scope, I could see some big chips in the blade.

The missing chunks were significantly larger than the region that had been rounded over from buffing. Clearly, this isn't making for a more durable blade. I think that, in order for that to happen, I would have to have a larger rounded region, which will involve more time buffing or a more aggressive compound. But I think I'll also have to increase the bevel angle on the stones.

I should mention that with this particular blade, I have had chipping issues in the past, even with a 30-degree bevel (and no buffing).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081