Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Weaver grind v/s Japanese feathering

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Bill, as I recall, Odate refers to increasing the angle at the leading edge to roughly 80 degrees. Years ago I was taught a technique by Harrelson Stanley, which he referred to as “jointing the edge”. This involved standing the bevel vertically and running it very lightly across the stone.

Ironically, for the past few years I avoided using a leather strop owing to the threat of dubbing. This past weekend, inspired by David’s postings, I decided to try a variant of the rounded bevel using one of my old strops loaded with green compound.

The chisels were a couple of vintage Boxwood marples with 20 degree hollow ground bevels. These were kept for delicate paring, and did not hold an edge long (frankly, I was wondering whether I should have given them such a low bevel at all). I was working on some Hard Maple end grain (kitchen cabinet doors). The chisels were pulled back along the strop on the hollow, and then lifted about 10 degrees (ala Paul Sellers). 4 or 5 strokes created a very fine wire, which was rubbed off on the strop.

The edge appeared as sharp as ever (compared with the other chisel, which was honed just with stones). Subjectively, it seemed to hold an edge better than before. But I emphasize that this is subjective. Objective testing needs to follow.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081