Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
chariot?
Response To:
Re: guessing on uses... ()

David Weaver
Richard - did you do much using of chariot planes? they're stylish over here for collectors (i would guess due to their size making them unique next to a bunch of more common planes).

I've noticed some chariot-ish planes of more modern make (like preston) are quite valuable.

Years ago, I bought a spiers panel plane kit (not from the original company - shepherd - they had gone out of business). The owner of the kit never put the plane together and convinced me to buy the shepherd chariot plane with it. Which was a mistake as I have no machine tools and the mouth isn't actually opened on the kit. I need to poo or get off of the pot and just toss it on ebay for someone with the metalworking skills to finish the mouth.

I suspect the lack of smaller older planes is all of the above, and the explosion in number of block planes has a lot to do with being able to make one that can be closed down (The adjustable types) and made easy to use for a new apprentice on a construction site.

The point about carrying one around to look at wood sans saw or rough planing marks is a good one.

I talked to a union carpenter here about hand tools once at a wedding - he and I both did not thrive when the entire wedding became an 8 hour dance party with 90% floor participation, so we were left talking about tools. He said they are still required to buy a plane and chisels, but he couldn't remember the last time he's sharpened his chisels. perhaps a decade, and his work on site was dwindling as he moved up through the ranks.

I think their work is commercial, and a whole lot of the bits that doors are installed in are metal. REsidential customers can't afford the union hourly rates and it's sort of a political thing here about larger public jobs requiring certain rules to accommodate. Things like football stadiums and office towers, I suppose, won't have a whole lot of miters to trim. short carpet, metal, drywall and paint (and a lot of glass) is what we see. Even the furniture is generally veneered to get a uniform look , and probably to stay flat and avoid movement issues.

It lends much to what you say the work looks like these days - that is the high paying work and there's not a whole lot of "plain old wood" in any of it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081