Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Weird
Response To:
Weird ()

David Weaver
Bill's not the only person who advised that, but I think it's an illustration of what we see much of in woodworking. What works. 20 things. What works on the internet 2.

I used loose silicon carbide on glass for a while and it does hollow the glass a little bit, but glass is cheap and you can work the surface of the glass at the same time if you don't work the center. Silicon carbide bought loose is really only price-affected by shipping. So 1 pound may be $15 and 5 pounds may be only a little bit more.

The first plane flattening video I found was one with ernie conover and he advised silicon carbide on plastic laminate. Plastic laminate isn't cheap and once you embed silicon carbide in it, that's pretty much what you're using it for.

It was cheaper for me to get a cabinet shelf (3/8" glass, 8x42 inches) at a glass shop here in the city than it was to do anything else, and so I've remained using that and PSA roll for things that I lap flat - just not novaculite or india stones.

Maybe for ernie conover (my understanding is that he was making money on classes at the time more than anything else, but that could be wrong), the difference in speed was important. I couldn't show a picture of an oilstone that I flattened a second time because I don't have one.

George mentioned that at CW, he had a large sandstone wheel that as fairly useless for bevel grinding as someone had ordered one (as in, a new one - it may have been after they decided they wouldn't use antique items - that still seems goofy to me) that was very fine and hard, but that it worked well for flattening oilstones, so he used the side of it for that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081