Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
The actual purpose of this...

David Weaver
This isn't an edge chasing issue, it's a laziness issue and an issue of making something slightly subpar (like sorby, or even the narex chisels - which are middling and made much better with a trick like this) perform as well or better than a typical setup method for a high cost chisel.

Without losing anything. If it's kept small, it doesn't affect bevel riding. It doesn't affect resistance through the wood, and if the abrasive is fine and slow, it speeds up subsequent sharpening. you can do it by hand without a buffer if you try to imitate the same thing.

If you have chisels you like a lot but they perform poorly if you use stringy woods like white oak, etc, then this will get you right through all of the work without searching the internet to spend more money.

This is a picture of what the sorby chisel looks like after a light trip on the buff. The bright white is the rounded part (taken with a phone camera). https://i.imgur.com/tN4PfxO.jpg

The next dark strip is about 25 degrees, and the other two lines are just two different primary grinds - there aren't four bevels.

The sharpness of this chisel is something that I cannot match with stones. It's not really the sharpness that I'm after, though, it's preventing edge failure without making the chisel feel blunt.

Over the years, I've switched to slower stones and doing this on the very tip of a chisel out of laziness. Not laziness for not making textbook geometric planes, but wanting to use the tools at hand without any other modification and with less time spent sharpening. Once in a while, I will make a comment that total sharpening with slower and finer stones is less than it is with faster stones. This is why. faster stones just make doing something this fine more difficult. The buffer is really lazy, but a slow really fine stone does this well. The second bevel isn't particularly fine - it's something like 1k diamond.

I've sometimes gotten the question about how this is different than sellers' method. It should be pretty easy to see now that I have pictures. I'm not guruing and I'm sure that carvers and many others have done this in the past - nothing that you figure out ends up really being any unique discovery.

Messages In This Thread

Why I'm enamored with small rounding..
for japanese chisels ,too - no planes
The actual purpose of this...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081