Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I'm not bill....
Response To:
Spray setup? ()

David Weaver
..but I have a spraying setup that's simple and other than the guns, inexpensive.

* a cheap 15 amp HF oiled compressor (if you can wear it out, buy the warranty for $15 or whatever and get another one in the next 3 years - my first one lasted about 10 years before the pot metal fittings gave up - but the new one has brass - surprisingly tolerant of abuse by overcycling).

* some kind of regulator to have at the gun - which probably isn't essential, and if you're not spraying WB, some kind of moisture trap.

I tried some of the cheaper turbine setups and none of them was as good as an inexpensive compressor and a gun. They are more portable, I guess.

If you have a little bit of patience (enough to set your gun and avoid spraying heavy and getting sags), you'll be surprised how much easier it is than wiping - especially on intricate stuff. you need a bug free and relatively dirt-free area, though - and a decent organic vapor respirator (not expensive) - especially if you spray inside.

I'll defer to others on guns. I've bought expensive asturo guns and several HF guns - the HF stuff is hit or miss (same looking guns bought years apart don't seem to be the same quality in use).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081