Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: you nailed it
Response To:
you nailed it ()

David Weaver
I don't do much furniture, but you managed to hit one of the few things I've done a lot (there's a stopped cut like this in a plane, but I do make it all at once since it's OK to go slow on it).

When I cut dovetails in the top case (full length against most recommendations, and for good reason), I got so lazy that I tried different saws due to this. The black stanley tool box saws do well to cut full depth, but even cutting a 12" long socket, they're aggressive and inaccurate and I found dealing with the inaccuracy worse than the lack of speed.

At any rate, I tried several saws and found that accurate is essential, but the back and forth in partial waste removal (doesn't have to be that neat, just run a chisel right across through there with a mallet in one or a couple of passes)

Sloppy or neat, as long as the sawdust can escape, the saw works as expected.

I tried cutting every other tooth out of a cut down saw plate a few years ago when "kerfing planes" were the rage to get such a deep gullet that the teeth could clear, and that didn't work either. In that case, not many repetitions of resawing need to occur to make a kerf unnecessary (just saw to the line on both sides of a board).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081