Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Thanks, Bill..

David Weaver
..I was also wondering if there was something about the rating. I didn't know what the PSI rating stood for (how it's tested, does it imply something about hardness where a higher test number may still not fare better, etc).

I saw an item description for another epoxy that said the test strength is shear failure. I don't know how useful that is for me, but whatever the case, the sink has held up and I've gotten over my unsettled idea that gluing some pieces of non-threaded metal to the bottom of a counter top (then levering them) may result in trouble if the sinks are full of water and cast iron pots. I'm probably off in their actual strength by a large factor.

Interestingly, one of the issues that I had with the epoxy (so I thought) was that the instructions for the parts suggested putting them onto a blob of epoxy and making sure that they were within good coverage (which I'd envison as encased in epoxy). The 5 minute epoxy leveled very easily and I was unhappy with that. I may have had it backwards as the flowout may have created a better bond.

Whatever the case, I attribute this curiosity to overanalysis and not that important and wouldn't expect that any decent epoxy would fail how I'm using it. In woodworking, I've never even considered it (but have had joints fail when they get wet repeatedly - like gluing stones to a wooden base).

At any rate, thanks for the quick response.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081