Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
General Schooling - Bill? *LINK*
Response To:
epoxy ()

David Weaver
is it necessarily true that the slower epoxies are stronger than the fast?

I'm not a regular user of epoxy, but do use it a couple of times a year. When I was putting in my kitchen, I used the glue-on gadgets that hold the sink to the countertop (undermount - you glue threaded rods and then lever against them - they work well, but most people would probably wish for something threaded into the counter -which is less strong than the glue type from what I've read).

I used a 5-minute loc tite epoxy which i later found has a 3500 psi rating. Not knowing any of that, I said to my dad (who was helping), I don't know if 5 minute epoxy will hold the sink up, but I'm also not looking to make a separate trip to go find some late at night.

Shopping later to add "slower and stronger" epoxy back to my shelf, I couldn't easily find anything slow that was significantly higher rated in terms of strength.

I put bill's name above because he often has looked at these things on a chemistry basis and would be more likely to say yay or nay based on something other than what I have (speculation).

And I realize that epoxy can mean a million different things (filled, not filled, industrial, marine, finishes, dental products, auto products) - i'm just referring to the two part unfilled epoxies like this:

https://www.ebay.com/c/14012036947

(note the drastic difference in psi rating vs. this)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081