Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
stones are fine....

David Weaver
..it can be replicated on stones. it's the same simple roll a lot of people do but don't say when you're just finishing an edge and you want to be sure that the finish stone got all the way around it.

At one point years ago, I was chasing really low bevel angles and really fine edges and paring, etc. That probably works OK for pine. I remember having several different paring chisels set up like that and more "normal" when I was cutting the facets on planes and I thought the really slightly set up chisels lacked control because I often over cut with them. There's always one or two facets on a plane where the paring is into the grain and a sharper edge yields better results, but I liked the feel of the washita stone edge on the other ones - it wasn't slick enough to overcut easily, but sharp enough to leave a good finish.

as far as the rolled edge on the file chisel, if it is a good chisel, I would guess it should've tolerated that, but it's probably too hard. I also faffed with it mortising so I may not have noticed the same issues that would show up in a finishing facet. I'm really curious as to whether or not some part of it will break easily, so I wouldn't be offended if you figured out how to break it - the files that it comes from will break easily if they're pried with or bent, but I'm sure they're also harder.

I would guess that it's 2 or 3 rockwell C points harder than something like an iles chisel and is probably still a little bit too hard - I can recall being on a big bender at the time trying to get something that would sharpen really finely on the washita and not hold on to much of a wire edge at all. It may not be a practical thing to do (japanese chisels in white steel drop their wire edge off like that, but they're usually not very tough without geometric assistance).

as far as the buffer, though - it's a combination of laziness, being used to using it already, as well as some wonder at how fine the edge is with a fairly coarse cheap buffing bar. This fascination may pass quickly if I find something else to waste time on.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081