Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
PIC 3
Response To:
Every board unique ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Indeed that is the kind of tear-out I would get when I first tried planing (and why I gave up planing at the time.) I would call them divots as they dive into the depths of the wood.

And that is the kind of tear-out I thought was a thing of the past when I got, what I supposed, proficient with the cap iron setting. I planed all the drawer's fronts and sides with reckless abandon with what wound up a blade duller than any of you would consider tolerating. The drawer sides had grain going all ways, and the fronts were lightly figured with broad curl. No matter.

Someone from club visited and he wanted to see what I was building and how I sharpened. So I sharpened and he planed some and I planed some and all went well. Then it came time to plane this top of the dresser.

The blade was at this point not as sharp as possible nor was the shaving as thin as I could get it with undue fussing. So, yes there are refinements that could be made. But, for the rest of this project, and others, they were unnecessary.

In this side of this board the grain change is modest, approx. 10 degrees up and then down, way less than your test piece. This slope means when the grain separated it ran almost parallel to the surface and quite some distance.

The wood is flat sawed with growth rings nearly parallel to the surface and the wood several inches away from the center of the tree.

I finish sand anyway so reverse planing this area, scraping and final sanding wound up where I needed. But it shook my confidence. If this issue rears again I may be in a part of a project where I can study it more.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081