Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Bill - Zinsser can...
Response To:
Re: Bill - Zinsser can... ()

David Weaver
I believe that zinsser is a 3 pound cut.

Bill estimated in his post (IIRC) about 30 percent solids. a 3 pound cut (alcohol is less than a pound, but I think it's by volume - not an expert though)

should be 3 pounds shellac to one gallon of alcohol. (shellac's specific gravity is actually 1.15-1.2 or so, so there's a little error here).

At any rate, the simplistic view with the error included would be that there are 11 parts total, 3 shellac and 8 solvent.

So, the amount of shellac in the can is 3/11 * 32 (fl. oz in a quart can) = ...oops, rounding error....or copying error.

8.72 (I remembered that as 8.27 calculating it earlier) ounces of shellac in a can. as far as solids go.

23 or 24 ounces of solvent leaves somewhere around 5 1/3rd quarts of shellac to each gallon of solvent used.

the SLX type of DNA here is about $18 per gallon. The kind I prefer that's ethyl alcohol is a few bucks more per quart because it's not available in gallons.

Either way, I end up slightly above the cost of the zinsser can, their advantage being that it's not hard to dissolve shellac and pure ethanol is probably about $3 a gallon or less (made all over the place now that we put it in cars). If they can manage to buy shellac in india for $4 a pound, then their ability to make, distribute and then allow lowes and HD to mark up the product a hefty amount makes much sense.

We small timers are left grasping at the "shellac cutoffs".

All that said, I used about $7 or so of shellac and alcohol on each of the two telecasters that I showed pictures of, and there's just about nothing else that makes a suitable (to eye and touch) finish on a guitar that costs that little. Nitro lacquer is cheaper, as are acrylics, but I never liked the way they felt.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081