Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Subtle Hint in the prior pictures

David Weaver
In using this plane to cut the shelves to the lines marked (with a large steel square), they're all probably within a hundredth or two of each other, at the most.

I'll plane the case they go in after it's assembled, because it will be rigid and no doubt has taken some shop damage.

I think showing a plane shaving just over a hundredth of an inch probably will be lost on most who don't dimension by hand. what I'm aiming to communicate here is that while this plane will take waxy thin shavings, when you have a hundredth left to the mark, it's capable of pretty much taking it off in one shot.

First comment on imgur was that the plane should be lapped and stropped to take a thinner shaving :b

It will, of course, take "waste your day away" tissue paper shavings. In the thick waxy looking shavings laying in the second picture, you can see that the plane iron was sharp enough (to make them look waxy) and undamaged (no lines or irregularities in them).

To a hand tool user, this kind of swiftness is useful.

I realize that to someone with a tuned crosscut sled and a stop, this is pretty poiintless. I don't have those things. When I have to build things (like this cabinet) that I don't really want to build, I'm not that interested in them, either.

All in all, I can't claim it saved any time over marking the boards and planing the ends square and to length in a vise upright - it may not have, but it was a fun diversion.

Someone inserting dadoed shelves or door panels would likely saw at the line and do none of this because it doesn't show (that's what I'd do for either of those if the joint is covered by trim).

While I haven't cut dovetails like this before in a case, I have seen enough with just-too-long dadoes or just-to-short near them on a case, but setting with glue, to know that it leaves a mess for surfacing the outside of a case. If it's bad to plane a case, it's really bad to plane one that's got hills and valleys.

The method warren suggests would be superior if I weren't playing around as the front part of the shelves that had a short dovetail could be cut to ideal length.

This case should survive a tornado when it's done, though that's not a good building standard to shoot for.

Messages In This Thread

Shop Made Tools..Shootenstein
Subtle Hint in the prior pictures
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081