Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Bowing to the gods of laziness

David Weaver
I think I'll address this in video rather than trying to describe it. There's a short sequence of pictures here - the camera never shows things quite like I see them. There's probably a little blush of remaining oil on the tops of these, but they are gloss in person. The finish is very thin, but it doesn't look thin.

If they were to be real pieces, they'd get this first, sit for a couple of days to allow the finish to dry completely and get one more quick cycle to address any shrinkage that occurred in drying (resulting in a little bit of grain pattern on the surface of the shrunken finish).

I don't think there will be any converts to this, it's a physical process and stingy on finish and high on effort (each test piece takes about 20 minutes. I didn't make a proper pad, which will be needed for larger pieces - a door panel or cabinet side could probably still be done in 20 minutes with a larger pad). very handy for guitars, though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hZTY30z

(again, I guess I have to apologize for the anti glare control on the phone camera - it eliminates reflectivity, which would be nice to see here).

Spouse says no to all of these - even without regard to blotch. Three too light, and the last dyed version too dark - she wants to see "no grain" on the finished piece and asked if we could milk paint it instead :( (no way)

A little bit more trying to trick the camera into seeing the glare instead of canceling it. The finish has a wonderful quality of looking very perfect from a distance, but when you get up close to it, it has minor imperfections that give it life. I realize that a lot of people will dispute that, but I've been playing guitar for a long time and the industry went through a period of heavy finishes and heavy buffing to try to make a thick perfect looking surface. It looks sterile to me, like the guitars have been encased in plastic. There are economic reasons in that case - a soft thick finish on guitars (water based or nitro with a lot of plasticizer in it) alleviates some of the skill needed for the buffer who could otherwise ruin a thin finish with one wrong pause on a guitar body.

https://i.imgur.com/D7pob88.jpg

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081