Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Heart thrown away.
Response To:
Heart thrown away. ()

david weaver
In the case of the planemakers, the text was clear that "a thin layer" or some other such test of the sort was used for the planes and the rest discarded.

Whether or not someone would use the salvage heart at the center for something else wasn't clear.

If we're building something out of beech now, I don't think there's a great reason to do that. It must've been the luxury of having large numbers of old growth trees whereas finding beech stands now is fairly difficult in a lot of places.

There is a stand near me on township land that has many trees in the 20-48" center main stem diameter, but many are laid over going to waste since it lasts almost no time before spalting. That's irrelevant to this, though - my main issue is that I actually liked the feel of the heart better, it feels more durable, and learned about this use of the sap only much later. Stands at home and here are filled with mostly red oak, maybe some novelty softwood trees and a mix of cherry/maple/hickory. Plus, horizon lumber is my wood supplier for 16/4 beech and nearly all of their supply is mixed sap and heart.

I had never seen a large stand of beech trees before seeing them on township land here (they're on a steep hillside). Given that this is Pennsylvania and that the state was stripped of trees to a great extent, I doubt that those beech trees are the kind mentioned in texts as dominating mature forests established for hundreds or thousands of years.

I would like to see an explanation as to why the text said most of the tree was discarded, whether it was stability, ease of working or what. I've never seen anything further and haven't looked further. I'll see if I can locate the reference (I take sentiment from things I've read, but am not good at remembering names or texts that things come from).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081