Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: LN #4 1/2 in bronze
Response To:
Re: LN #4 1/2 in bronze ()

david weaver
I well remember the 4 1/2 craze. I had an LN and several stanleys at one point. Tried record, Millers falls, too. Sold the last one that I had two weeks ago (a bedrock with a bite out of it).

The nice thing about their popularity is that I broke even over the entire group after netting out fees.

Patrick is right about the popularity of the 4 1/2 in the UK (whether or not he speculates the right reason, I don't know - but it may have been due to advertising). When the global shipping program opened up on ebay, I was able to get two older crisp record 4 1/2s for $30 plus $25 shipping to the US. When I tired of them, they paid the fees on the sales of the others.

Pricing of planes in different places is a strange thing. Record 8s of the older type are, I guess, not that common. I had to pay $240 to separate the English from one of their nice vintage Record 8s, and about the same to pry a Sorby 7 from English bidders.

(4 1/2s from stanley's english works and the record types are still very inexpensive. I also wanted to try the laminated irons in the record planes, as their ad copy was convincing about finer grain and much longer wearing. The ones I have actually don't wear as well as the better stanley irons, so that was a waste. But they look neat and have a good story).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081