Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: LN #4 1/2 in bronze
Response To:
LN #4 1/2 in bronze ()

david weaver
Am I correct that the originals were about $750 US or something like that? I think there may have been some white bronze planes in the past, too, or were these that? Those being $900 or something.

I'm never the buyer of those kinds of things and can't remember them, but it's interesting that they still had quantity later - presumably it's better to just pull stock than it is to lower the price on something "limited edition").

A 4 1/2 is a nice plane to use on wood that's already flat (e.g., if I actually had a good power planer that left a mostly good quality surface) and take overlapping smoothing shavings from left to right. Hopefully it's not over 6 pounds or so - at some point, planes become heavy enough that you can't feel tearout or surface issues occurring when you can feel them in another plane.

Cadillac over a turtle theory. If you run over a box turtle on a bicycle, you'll be keenly aware of it. If you do it with a cadillac, you'll perhaps say "what was that noise?", or maybe not even that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081