Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Caution on using company "wear" data

david weaver
Knife people are a good start once edge geometry and finish is controlled. There are people on youtube who describe their sharpening and then do something relatively easily repeated, like cutting rope. What I see from folks in terms of results slicing seems to translate well to planing (not surprisingly).

I've always discounted wear data to some extent because I think little of it is generated at angles around 25-35 degrees of angle. What I've learned is that there is a lot of relevance to the wear data, but assuming proportional application vs. charts online just doesn't seem to occur.

I feel like there's more in the tank for the M4 - I'm still sitting on the pictures from this test (haven't uploaded them yet), but something causes it to have grip in the wood and I can't help but think that this affects the test results. What causes this? I get the sense (without proving it) that it would be vastly superior to V11 in something harder than wood. It (PM M4) is nicely behaved on the diamond laps and released its wire edge with less of a fight than 3V in the little that I've sharpened it.

3V also has a little of that grip, but not as much. Still curious about what makes V11 slippery in the cut. I'm guessing chromium, and that 440C would do the same, except 440C has a top hardness that really isn't very good for planing (mid to upper 50s, practically) when it comes to wear resistance. Something I could easily notice on razors, too - the friodur razors take a fine edge, but they will not match a carbon steel razor for holding the fine edge. Just as well, many razors have been sharpened on natural stones for eons, and 440C at 62 hardness wouldn't have gone over well.

Messages In This Thread

Caution on using company "wear" data
Re: Caution on using company "wear" data
affects results but not conclusions
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081