Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: excellent
Response To:
excellent ()

david weaver
I'm partly responsible for that (discussion about thinking the hock blades could be better with better stock or lower hardness). I thought that I could make a better blade than hock just because of their hardness - I thought they'd be better a couple of clicks less.

This is on the hard side of O1 blades for me (the one in this test), but it is below chippy. It's not really a matter of skill in making it, I just made it, tried it, then put it in the oven increasing temper a little bit until it stops showing any surface irregularities. That seems to be about 380 or 390 degrees with starrett O1.

But, I was wrong about durability. The hock lasted right with it and surface quality was little different. I guess this is about the most distance one could get from O1 unless there were some other more advanced tricks.

Next test, re-do of 3V and V11 in beech, and Phil's iron will go into the mix since these two irons will give it a chance to be in rotation in a board for a while. I'd prefer not to have any iron planing a whole bunch of distance by itself in a board because there's nothing relative to compare it to then if there's something about the wood that bungles an iron.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081