Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: smell
Response To:
smell ()

david weaver
I think the part that would heat is like some fraction of a thousandth, and because of the conductivity of the iron, after the instant when the heat occurred, it would quickly be absorbed by the surrounding metal. I'm not sure it can be accurately measured with anything a mere mortal can afford.

The outcome is a better predictor. If there was enough to burn even a tiny part of wood, I would think it would still be aromatic.

Last year, I was cutting a bead on cherry trim with a boxed moulding plane. The boxing was the entire bead profile (griffiths plane, not a cheapie), and every time you take a stroke with it, something about the cherry causes it to burn. It stinks almost immediately before there is any evidence of the burning on the plane (it doesn't show up on the wood). If you continue to plane, then gradually the smell gets much stronger and the surface of the boxing shows burn damage. This occurs at very routine planing speeds (even when you're being careful about the profile vs. just slamming the plane up and down the length of the wood).

To find when heat actually makes a difference at the edge, the easiest thing to do would be just to have a planing machine and use an HSS iron and a carbon steel iron and run tests incrementally increasing the speed. I'd assume that in most test scenarios, the speed would be beyond what we do, but perhaps in some (as warren suggests, maple) it may occur at lower speeds.

The problem (and what I'll have when I publish the longevity results with all of the conditions and materials, methods, etc) is that nobody likes a complicated result. If warren says maple causes iron temper problems sometimes, that's good enough for me. People want a blanket answer for everything (pine to leadwood), which is naive.

I expect the first thing I'll hear once I publish results is that someone else will lean on a plane, plane twice as many feet, link to my report in a blog and tell everyone I have no idea what i'm doing. That's OK - there are people more familiar with sharpening or planing or this or that than me, but not many.

(the planing machine outcome to generate material damage due to heat would be interesting, but I'd rather just have LV tell us where they found that to be an issue if they would be willing to. I'd not be surprised if the super surfacer could easily create heat problems the way it smashes through huge heavy cuts at high speed).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081