Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re:Particle Steel product by process

david weaver
The method that it wears - if you look at the erosion of the steel at the back of the wear bevel on the LV, it really does look like it wears different than the more traditional steels.

My O1 iron kept excellent uniformity, but I'm disappointed in the clearance running out for the purposes of this test. It wouldn't bother me in daily use, though, because I would have it back up and running with a single stone in about a minute and a half, and the lack of damage means that no matter what, the next shaving will leave a good quality surface (even if I fail to make a wire edge large enough to remove all of the wear).

I'm sort of at the edge of my seat waiting to see how the V11 iron will continue on as the visual side of things suggests that the wear bevel on the top of the iron is really deep, so much so that scaling the pictures, it's actually a little shorter (the edge of the iron is wearing back, and the steepness of the back side of the wear bevel makes it easier to see than it is on any of the other irons).

This isn't a scientific test, and it's not going to branch out into me trying to assert things other than number of feet planed and some subjective things that I feel while planing, but it's still interesting to observe.

I've learned from your posts and others during the process.

one of the early things I saw with particle steels was a knife test where a smith put knives in a vise and bent them. The particle steels didn't tolerate that well, so I wrote off their toughness as being something that may not be that great for tools.

Do you think their composition, being sintered together from already established particles would assist in them leaving go of those particles more uniformly? that's the kind of old wive's tale kind of potential guessing that can lead to false statements, but I'd love an explanation for why the v11 and 3v have such uniform hollows on the top. At the same time, I'm surprised with so much wear, clearance isn't an issue.

I know from the other study that bill is getting translated that it's not just the amount of wear that's different from steel to steel, but the actual shape of the bevel side and the back side of a tool differs from one to the next, and it may be coincidence that the two particle steel irons seem to show the same thing at different rates - maybe those two do, but another type of particle steel wouldn't.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081