Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
If the green chinese iron fares well..

david weaver
..i found a second one in my drawer. I'm going to send it to you when I'm done. I think it's a great budget iron for a shaving lifter, but the test could still prove me wrong. It's also not particularly hard to sharpen (I have been using oilstones on it, just as I would with V11 or A2 - but I can sharpen anything on oilstones at this point, not to maximum achieved level, but good enough to use - just as the 3V showed up).

When i found a gray version the other day on aliexpress, I ordered two and then ordered two more green ones. The princely sum total for the order with shipping was something like $42 for the four irons.

I have been using the green one for a little bit. I don't do as much furniture building as you do, but if I am planing a surface (like the top of a spruce telecaster) and a mark occurs, I decide first if it's worth threatening the surface (you're right, hangar rash is the biggest surface threat that a lot of us face. When I do build furniture-like things, I often wonder how nobody ever talks about it and assume that I am just ham handed). If the object being planed is a shelf, the answer is usually no unless the mark is significant. Damage occurs before assembly for me usually - handling the parts and having one fall over or some such thing. If that's the case, I'll re-plane the area.

If assembly is done, I will try to scrape slowly with a dull scraper with the grain and burnish the area. if there is minor variation, I'll live with it. I also apply shellac and wax or shellac and crosslinked acrylic spray finish to just about everything I make, so my standard isn't like oil rubbed sheer finish.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081