Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Alloy and finishable surface

david weaver
I'll need to do it with two. The A2 on LN (that plane has received no doctoring) and I can also do the 3V (that plane has received doctoring).

In this case, the O1 and tsune irons both exhibit no edge failure in terms of making lines at all, but they do show a brighter wear bevel and seemingly more (uniform, but more) wear.

Two things make a brighter bevel to the naked eye - a longer bevel and a more round bevel. The strange thing about the pictures is that the first few thousandths of heavy wear that show up in pictures don't look like much to the naked eye - they're just bright. I tried to take pictures of this wear bevel, but it's difficult.

At any rate, this is consistent with all of the results I've gotten in the past, most of that experience was with A2, though - what put me off of it the first time was sort of the random feeling time when it would start putting lines on work. Not serious significant fingernail catching lines, but raking light tracks that would disappear instantly under any reasonable abrasive.

From Bill's literature, K&K experienced the same thing. No clue what their viewing intervals were.

I don't mind the suggestions - it would be interesting to know when it shows up. I don't recall the tiny lines on the LN iron on the first 50 strokes, but the surface was very bright after 50 strokes, brighter than the carbon steel irons (that's 200 feet of planing, though, and wear could very well have set in).

It's important to do this test with two planes (especially one that's proven that no lines show up with some irons), I think, so that it can't be attributed to the plane. I'll see if I have a carbon steel iron to pair with the 5 1/2 (other than the very rounded hock that I have sitting around) so that the nicking can be confirmed to be confined to the 3V.

Nicking probably isn't a great word for it. It's viewable under the microscope and on the surface of the board only. If the naked eye sees anything on a plane iron, there will definitely be a line that catches a fingernail.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081