Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: a more to the point answer

david weaver
I'm going to be smart and do a shorter response line by line because that's what people are probably looking for. They can compare it to my type-a-licious giant rambling answer in the other response:

Dave, I'm enjoying reading this stuff a lot, though I'll admit I'm probably missing a bunch because there's a ton here. I'm having a little trouble finding a bottom line.

The distinction you made between "surface gazers" and "shaving lifters" is the crux of the issue for me. I imagine the latter want to know "how long will the iron cut?"

What I'm interested in is how long an iron can go before it stops producing a finish ready (or nearly finish ready) surface.

So I guess my questions are:
* Do all irons tested here produce a finish-ready surface? A2 did for a short period of time, but not long. Other alloyed irons, no. Both carbon steel irons produce a finish ready surface after 400 feet. Defects are not tearout or anything substantial, just tiny witness lines
* Which ones can produce a finish-ready surface for the longest time? Which ones poop out the fastest?
the carbon steel irons are the only safe bet for surface ready finishes unless someone wants to do light scraping and sanding (all of the irons do that well. So the answer is less about what does the finish ready the longest and more about whether an iron does it at all - only the carbon steel types show an ability to do it predictably

My assumption here is that on the question of merely lifting a shaving, the plain high carbon irons will give up earlier than the alloyed steels, but that on the question of a finish-ready surface, the plain high carbon will be competitive. Is this true? Well see once the plane finally comes out of the cut in terms of longest. the high carbon irons have already won the surface quality contest and now that their edges are worn and rounded a little bit, I doubt they'll do anything other than lose some surface brightness. It'll be interesting to see if the other irons cease to increase the appearance of lines once the little bits at the edge stop coming off - which may have occurred by now. Or more specifically, once they're supported by a more robust rounded wear angle, will they maintain quality

Apologies if you've already answered these questions and I'm just not finding it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081