Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: jumping to conclusions...

david weaver
If they're well made, there's no difference in a $20K violin vs. one that's $100k other than the ability of a builder to manage relationships with buyers. Even if you buy 400 year old wood to start, there just isn't that much cost in making them.

I talked to a couple of symphony players here (two married symphony players in this area get summers off and make about 3 bills together if they don't take on any additional work).

Not surprisingly, they have some expensive violins. I wanted to pick their brains about what made them good and they really don't have a clue. They just know they like them. I'm sure they have not touched sandpaper or studied anything about it in quite a long time. One of the two was enamored with one of the violins they got because it had a birdseye back.

Interestingly enough, baking wood has become very stylish with guitars because it moves the wood into a similar timbre vs. very old wood. While talking to the two, they mentioned a builder who had supplied wonderful violins to a few people they knew, but he was accused of baking tops, and figuratively run out of town as a seller to any of them going forward. They said the violins were wonderful sounding and open, but it wasn't appropriate to help the wood along in such a way.

??

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081