Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: jumping to conclusions...
Response To:
Re: Somewhere.... ()

david weaver
..i would guess that there's a combination of things involved, but certainly cost is a huge factor. Maybe the "hugest". If it would've been cheaper to sand in 1775, then I think nearly all of the work would've been pretty heavily sanded.

I don't know that much about how old violins were made, but I'd be curious as to whether or not they were expensive enough to warrant shark skin or some of the other expensive work. If they were sending them to royalty, I would hope the tiny surfaces would warrant it. I mentioned top carving to george and it's his opinion that the inability to get a perfect top in raking light without sanding means sanding must be done on them. I will take his advice.

I sure have seen evidence of a lot of his work, though. Most of it is beyond what I'll ever do. Maybe all of it. http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson1.html#wilson7

The comments that he makes and then shows in pictures - I can see this lute, I can see that I couldn't design it and execute it, too, but it's clear both that he did the work and he did it by hand. He's described elsewhere why a lot of this work was done by hand instead of power tools (e.g., controlling the stroke of the saw so that a power saw with some eccentricity doesn't unintentionally sand the sides of the scrollwork).

Something sticks out to me that Ben Hogan said. When someone asked him his opinion on other golfers, he said he had great respect for all golfers who went out and competed. I think the interviewer expected him to sound off on all that was wrong with everyone who didn't do it his way. I'd prefer people talking about their work, and picturing their work first - unless they can't do what they're talking about (like above - if I had work the level of george's, I'd post his and not mine). I think we'd have a bit more respect for each other if we weren't falling back on someone else's work to protect ourselves from showing our own.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081