Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Somewhere....

david weaver
..a point is being missed here. I gather what Warren is saying - all of this care and expense to make an M4 iron, but the surface that's finished is sanded.

Sandpaper is quite often used in fine instruments, etc, because the surfaces are curved and the objective is to have a surface that shows no marks on something like a violin or archtop guitar. Most of the time, it's going to be varnished or lacquered, so no marks is a desirable thing.

No reason to get all stuffed up about it. I do wish people would actually show their own work, though: Charlie - that includes you. I give the OP credit here for talking about something and showing his own work.

You've mentioned before that I can't build my way out of a paper bag, but I'm glad to show mine, anyway. If someone thinks it weakens my points (which I suspect is the reason you don't post some of your average work, because it's paying work and not your best work), I'm not bothered by that.

I struggle to find some of warren's work sometimes, but there are bits and pieces of it out there (like this unsanded turning):
https://thechristiantoolcabinet.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/warren-samples.jpg

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081