Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I just learned the term warm forging..

david weaver
..anything below critical temperature, but above work hardening temperature.

Wide range!

I see that the chance of me hitting above critical for long but not forming scale is pretty low. I generally didn't form much scale when hammering the file into shape. This is a bonus for me with the equipment that I have (no scale) because it suggests I'm not doing anything anything to completely reset the grain structure and I don't have to deal with the scale (which I could brush off).

In the world of unknowns, I see forgers talking about this being the ideal range to forge steel and other suggesting there will be cracks. Industrial talk about warm forging is focused more on dies and tight tolerance forging of more complex shapes than cold allows.

So, I have no idea if I'm doing anything other than making the steel thinner on the business end of the chisel to lessen material reduction, but I think so far, I'm going to just keep doing the same thing. I was kind of surprised just how bad the bolster got after a few high heats (uneven carbon content and enormous amounts of scale).

The chisel above so far holds up as well as anything I've had, and better than anything that's below where I prefer hardness to be (it's far better performing than the sorby type chisels that are intentionally soft...of course, I could potentially break it mortising a plane body and find out that it's not that great! But I mortised some hard maple with it last night to see how it would hold up, and it hasn't shown any bad tendencies. 30 degrees colder on the temper and it had noticeable microchipping tendencies.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081