Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
A great and helpful summary...

david weaver
I'm glad that you took the time to write that out, because it made me consider a couple of things i hadn't thought of.

I smashed the teeth down with the hammer on the blank that I hammered out and have started shaping it. I figure the teeth layer will probably be gone with shaping, but you never know. It would've been smarter if i'd have ground them off first and then hammered, as you say, you never know what's in the gullets (or even on the surface - they could have some small pinning that I missed, or oxidation, etc).

If this chisel works out, I think I will go back to trying 1095 as I've found a site that has thicker 1095 (needs to be 1/4" thick to get the taper and tang thickness necessary for rigidity, and so that I can taper the thickness on a curve making the business end suitably thin for at least a couple of inches).

as I was tapering my blank yesterday and grinding the tang out (only have a 6" baldor for that kind of thing), I considered what you said and realized that there's little chance that I'll have chisels that are consistent working.

Read some knife sites, too, and the back and forth from the knife makers was that anyone considering 1095 would be better off with 1084 because it's closer to the eutectic limit and much easier to harden accurately. All things to consider. I could also just leave O1 at very light straw, and its behavior would be improved, and I also wouldn't have to worry about cracking if the bevels were cut delicate before hardening (I have some concern that in file steel and 1095, they won't harden ideally).

Sorry to hear that you lost your knife. I've heard a million similar stories - one bump and your favorite knife or wrench is lost to the wild forever. I knew a lot of old timers at home who wouldn't carry a nice knife with them in the field or put nice tools in their tractors. They were mostly farmers and referred to those tools as "having been planted". "it costs more to plant a nice wrench than a cheap one".

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081